Monday, December 15, 2014

The Great Southern Exposure Burlesque & Variety Arts Pageant 2014

 http://greatsouthernexposure.com/


I had a fantastic time in Charlotte, NC at my first pageant!

I was treated very well and even given a separate space in which to dress on short notice.  My RV had only been picked up the night before I left for the show - which meant there was no time to de-winterize it, get tags, insurance and all that jazz.  I am extra thankful to Deanna Pendragon and everyone involved in making this event happen and for all the personal kindness! I felt all kinds of love and it was just plain fun to be part of this weekend. I saw some friends I knew and made many new ones. 

I was more than surprised, thrilled and very honored to win a trophy for Edgiest Performance 2014! Apparently, Queen B got into the judges hearts nicely.


Great Southern Exposure 2014 Winners!

QUEEN of Southern Exposure Tora Torrid
PRINCESS of Southern Exposure Egypt Blaque Knyle
KING of Southern Exposure Pretty Boy Rock
PRINCE of Southern Exposure Dante The Inferno
Most Glamorous Southern Exposure Apathy Angel 
Most Classic Southern Exposure Lucy Buttons
Best Group Southern Exposure Greater Atlanta Goddess Society
Funniest Southern Exposure Meredith Sparkles
Edgiest Southern Exposure Miss Theresa 
Best Variety Southern Exposure Scarlet Starlet
Mammas Choice Southern Exposure Miss Satine

the winner's circle


Aside from the pageant, it was an unusual adventure down south.  This was partly due to how events at home unraveled during the week prior and a cascade of events that followed.  I experienced a nice, full range of emotions in the span of a few days.  A quieter trip would be most welcome for all future destinations, that is for certain!

I should say that I began my trip on the heels of a fresh, mild concussion that I received the night prior. It was an accident that I had in the new RV... let's just say, I learned the hard way to always duck lower than I ever thought I needed.  It really made things trickier, as my thinking wasn't terribly clear, or fast and my head hurt something wicked.  I made sure to take time to hit a JoAnn's and get 1/4" foam and fabric to match my hair so I could make a little pad to go under the headdress and on top of my skull - it worked out pretty well and didn't make me want to drop with pain.  All things considered with the head trauma... I'm pretty proud that I was able to go thru with the trip, be fairly functional AND win a title. 


back at the hotel after the nice win


On the way home, my beloved 89 Cadillac decided that it could do no more and started to quit on the highway about an hour north of Charlotte on Sunday the 7th.  I ended up spending the night in a Best Western and getting a cab the next day to rent an SUV from a Budget car rental two towns over. Budget would rent to me with a debit card, which was impossible with other companies in the region.  I took Sunday afternoon, evening and well into the wee hours of the morning trying to find a solution that was feasible.  Either way I looked at it, it was more than I could spend to get my sick car back home and then pay to fix her as well.  I did the only thing I could in a hurry and scrapped her for $200... which broke my heart and I'm still in a bit of mourning.  


The last picture with my Caddy... taken by the Reaper... I mean salvage man.


In closing, all I can really say about my experiences is that they were profound and altered my life... I have to say for the better.  The Great Southern Exposure was WONDERFUL!  The loss of my companion/Cadillac was inevitable I know.  I must look at this in a positive light and simply see it as clearing away and making room for newness.  As this week draws to a close, this is going to be a theme.  I will be getting rid of a whole lot of my physical possessions and storing only what I must keep.  

Streamlined - that is the new word of the day for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment